Monday, April 10, 2006

In the Face of Defeat


Manchester United: 2, Arsenal FC: 0
Season 05/06, Old Trafford

The incomparable Wayne Rooney.
(from ESPN Soccernet)


If you didn't know by now...I support Arsenal, so this entry obviously won't be about puffing up Man U's victory over Arsenal. And I can gurrantee you it won't be about Man U bashing either :)

Some would expect me to flame up at Man U's victory on the merit that I am an Arsenal fan. However, I feel more inclined to think deeper into this topic of supporting a foreign team. Many people take the team's victories and defeats as their own too, which some might call being a true supporter. That's good, but there's the danger of going overboard.

I congratualte Man Utd on winning the match, which I consider a close one and decided by great goals. All the best catching Chelsea, and Arsenal hasn't lost it all yet. Good thing is no injuries and no more of the 'Pizzagate-level' of acrimonity between the teams. It was a clean game, that much to the players. Next up, Pompey and Champs League still around. Give a good show.

On the bigger picture, why do I choose this team, or why do I choose to choose at all? I am not involved in Arsenal's recent good form or in their emergence of their youth. My salary doesn't depend on them (I don't bet). They are also not the best team in the world now either. Logically, there isn't much sense in my continuation of Arsenal fanship.

However, I still choose to watch games for them on ESPN, and espacially for this season, I ended up watching a defeat. Notable ones in the past are Liverpool's last gasp 2-1 win at Anfield, Man U's win at Highbury with 2-4, and for this season Bolton's bogey moments and Chelsea's victories thanks to Drgoba. Today's match is an addition to the list.

But a defeat shows more of a fan than for a victory. I would sit through the whole match even if it was game over. The players are still on the pitch, they are still wearing the colours, and still continuing Arsenal's history. The team is on the pitch, and my support is what I can provide. I will stick to my decision and not stray to other teams like grass in the wind.

Arsene Wenger is an astute manager with a renowned knack for strategy. Theirry Henry and Co. are bona fide footballers, who live to play the game. That's a rarity in a game where the cost of winning at times erases the virtues of the game.

People will question some of Wenger's decisions (like selling Viera, or having faith in this thin squad), and even mock him. Something in me always tells me Wenger has a card up his sleeve. Football is unpredictable, and with Wenger and the players he has, I won't know the whole picture until his players get on the pitch and show the audience what Arsenal is. Go Arsenal!

Well, there's this certainty that I am going to meet Man U fans on the way who will talk about the recent victory. It is up to them whether they want to celebrate in my face and get my attention (or frankly, get me angry). But in the end, what does it show about a supporter (including me if Arsenal won)? It just means you supported the team that won. You have to be good to convince me that you had a hand in it.

Of course not all fans are the same, and unfortunately for Man U's general image here...the team attracts fair-weather fans. I won't implicate any here, as it isn't my purpose in life to be judgemental. Let them have the joy of the victory for now, but they have to be prepared to taste bitter defeat. But to those true Man U fans, enjoy the moment.

Anyways I am sending a pal of mine to BMT Recourse (a Man U fan also...hordes of them :P). Well, have to wish him all the best even though it is PES C. It maybe not the toughest course to take, and far from the rigours of even normal BMT, but it is a crucial phase in life. The recruit tag returns.

My life goes on and likewise for the rest of the world. Going to Brunei soon for awhile, so for that period I won't be able to update this blog. No worries, since I don't update it so often haha... :D

It's getting late...Enjoy yourselves and give joy to the Lord. Amen.

Joshua

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO ARSIES!!!!
GO ARSIES!!!!
GO ARSIES!!!!
GO ARSIES!!!!
GO ARSIES!!!!
JOSH - AN ARSE - AND PROUD OF IT..

8/7/06 6:01 PM

 
Blogger nawecarg said...

man.. ur posts r super long.. my eyes r getting wacky..

grace1

13/7/06 2:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home